Monday, October 25, 2010

The Greatest Sin of Falling in Love in a Bar 61

It’s been almost a year when I left the City of Buenaventura. A lot of things had changed. Some places, where I used to go to, were closed down, while others were upgraded.

I felt like it was my first time to visit that place. It’s the place where I was born and where I grew up… and it’ll be the place where me and my newly born baby Justin will live together.

I called Isabelle that I’m back in the city and that I need a nanny for my baby so that I could go back to work as soon as possible. She was glad to hear from me again, although we constantly talk on the phone when I was still in Venice.

I also called Erica to let her know that I’m already in Buenaventura. I found out that Stella is back from New Zealand and that Stephanie is about to get married. Stephanie’s boyfriend just proposed to her last week. We decided to meet. It’ll serve as a reunion for us.

The next person I called was Aaron. He was so surprised to hear from me. It had been a year since the last time we talked.

“How are you?” he asked.

“I’m fine. I had a healthy baby boy. His name is Justin. I wish you could meet him,” I said.

“Really? That’s cool. I’m excited to see him,” he said.

“H-how’s Stephen? Did you hear anything from him?” I asked.

“I have not heard from him since you left. I thought he’d find you in Venice after he found where you were, but he said he failed. From that day on, I have not heard anything from him. I don’t know what happened to him. Besides, I constantly travel to Macau, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Malaysia for business summits,” Aaron answered.

“I see. You were so busy with work then. You might not find yourself a girlfriend,” I jokingly said.

“You think so? Guess what? I’m getting married,” he said.

“Really? I’m happy for you. Congratulations!”

“Yes. I’m marrying your best friend Stephanie.”

“What?!!” I shrieked in disbelief. I was so surprised that I woke baby Justin up. I went to him and tried to put him back to sleep before I spoke, “we really need to see each other. I didn’t know you went out together. This calls for a celebration. We decided to have a reunion. I wish you could join us. I’ll bring my baby with me.”

“Sure. I’d have to tell Stephanie. You know her. She’s not into surprises,” Aaron said. After that, we said our goodbyes. I was really happy for Stephanie and Aaron. I didn’t know they would click together. I didn’t even know they were going out. But despite all of these, I was saddened by the fact that I had lost yet another important man of my life… Stephen. I wonder how he is doing.

Erica called me up and set a date with the other girls at Keep Cole. She said it’s a newly opened child-friendly Italian restaurant. I have to bring Justin with me, so I agreed with her idea.
Around 8PM, everyone was there already – Stella, Erica, Stephanie, Aaron, me and Justin. We were all having fun. They enjoyed the sight of my baby. Stephanie and Aaron can’t help but to keep playing with Justin, while me, Erica, and Stella are keeping up with each other. All of a sudden, Justin cried so I gave him a bottle of milk.

“Aaron! Buddy! How are you?” Everyone paused and were silent for a moment. I wondered why. They were all looking at the same direction. I was puzzled.

“Nikki?” the same person asked. I looked at the direction where everyone was looking. I was surprised to see Stephen standing behind me. It was all real. I was so surprised that I almost dropped Justin’s feeding bottle. Stephen was able to catch it from my hand.

“S-s-tephen?” I stuttered.

He gave me a hug, a tight one. I can’t move. I was still in shock. He looked at me and brushed off the little hair on my face. He then hugged me for the second time. It’s obvious how he missed me so much.

“All these times, Nick, I’ve been thinking about you and us. There have been what ifs and hows and whys after you left, and I can’t seem to find the answers to all of those questions. Now, that you’re back, I don’t have to find those answers anymore…” he paused. He was teary eyed already. ” I don’t have to find those answers, because those questions just banished in an instant.”

I was also crying. I can’t say anything at all. He cupped my face with his both hands and kissed me. It was soft but deep. I didn’t try to protest. I let my emotions take control of me. I kissed him back, a deep one. Just like Stephen, I missed being with him, being in his arms… hugging, cuddling, and even making love. That’s how I missed him. Suddenly, Justin cried. I didn’t know how long we’ve been kissing, but Justin’s cry parted me and Stephen from kissing. Stephen looked at Justin. He then flashed a smile on his face.

He recognized Justin as his own child. After all, Justin looked so much like him. He took the baby from his carrycot and carry him in his arms. He was very delighted to see Justin. He smiled at me and gave me a soft kiss. He doesn’t have to say anything. I could tell how happy he was to finally meet his son. He was amazed how Reese and Mark helped me with my final days of pregnancy. Everyone in the restaurant was in a very light mood. And then I found out, the name of the restaurant was named after me. Stephen owned the place.

From then on, we lived a very peaceful life… or so I thought.

THE END

No comments: