Monday, October 25, 2010

The Greatest Sin of Falling in Love in a Bar 60

I was already in the hospital when I woke up. Reese was sitting beside the stretcher, reading a magazine. She stopped reading when she found out I was already awake.

“What happened?” I asked her.

“You collapsed at the grocery store. The doctor said you were a little fatigued. You need to have more rest since you’re pregnant,” she answered. “It was a good thing Mark was able to catch you. He’s at the waiting room with baby Giselle. Are you feeling better?”

I nodded. I didn’t expect all of the things I had heard from Reese at the grocery store. I know I should be mad at her for breaking me and Stephen into pieces, but I can’t get mad at her.

“Can you tell me what really happened between you and Stephen?” I asked.

She took a deep breath and sighed.

“The truth is, Stephen didn’t get me pregnant. It was Mark who got me pregnant. Right after Stephen left for Buenaventura, I found out that I was a month pregnant. So I took it as an opportunity to get Stephen back because I know how he wanted to start his own family. I thought maybe it could trigger him to have me back. I loved him so much and though I know it would be too impossible for me to have him back because of what I did to him, I still tried what I could do. I know I was bitchy and all, but the only thing that mattered to me was to get Stephen back,” Reese paused.

Suddenly, I saw tears from her eyes. I don’t know why she was crying, but I know there’s something that bothered her.

“Then last year,” she continued, “my mom and dad had an accident. My mom was revived and survived the car crash, but my dad didn’t. I went to see both of them, but it was too late for me to see dad. Mom had several injuries and dad was in comatose for weeks, until he finally gave up. That was when I realized how hard it is to lose someone you love most. After the accident, I can see myself in Stephen… like how devastated he was of losing you. Then, I found out that my Stephen, Mark Stephen, went to Buenaventura to search for me. I didn’t know how, but he was able to get acquainted with Stephen. That’s when he told Stephen about my pregnancy. You see, Mark and Stephen used to be best friends and that was destroyed because of my selfishness. When I lost my dad, that was when I regret all of the things I did to both of them… and to you Nikki. That’s why I’m apologizing to you because I caused you so much pain.” Reese was already crying.

I held her hand and smiled at her. At least, I know how it all started and that she’s already telling the truth. To be honest, if Reese didn’t come into my life under such circumstance, she could have been a good friend.

“It’s alright,” I told her. “What’s in the past is already in the past. Let’s try to bury that and start anew.” I smiled at her and she smiled back at me.

From then on, we became good friends. In fact, Reese and Mark helped me with my last month of pregnancy. I didn’t know they had plans of staying in Venice for good. Well, at least, I have some friends around to help me with my labor. Reese also told me that she wants to venture in a business with me. I told her maybe we could be business partners once I open the new business I was planning. It’s fashion boutique for little women and teenagers. She showed her interest in it and studied a course in fashion for her to help me.

After my labor, I decided to go back to Buenaventura and had to deal with the businesses that were left behind… and probably close whatever there is that needs closure.

…to be continued

PREV ----- NEXT

No comments: