Monday, October 25, 2010

The Greatest Sin of Falling in Love in a Bar 59

I froze as Reese called the man behind me. I didn’t expect to see Stephen in such event. I thought she was alone. I didn’t think she’d be with Stephen. My heart was beating so fast. I didn’t know what to do or how should I deal with Steve. Finally, Reese spoke.

“Nikki, this is my husband, Stephen. Stephen, this is Nikki. She’s a friend. She’s the one I told you about,” Reese said.

I grasped for air. I took a deep breathe and turned around to finally meet Stephen after almost a year. But I was surprised to see yet another familiar face.

“Mark?” I shrieked in disbelief. It was really embarrassing, but I was plainly surprised to see Mark instead of Stephen.

“Nikki?! How are you? It’s been awhile,” Mark shook my hand. Just like me, he was also a little surprised to see me.

I was quivering and was really confused. Awhile ago, I thought Reese was talking about Stephen, yet she was talking of Mark all along.

“You know each other?” Reese asked. She was surprised as well.

“I met her in City of Buenaventura when I went there, looking for you,” answered Mark.

“I-I t-t-thought you mean Steve? Stephen?” I stuttered.

“Yes. This is Stephen, my husband. He’s Mark Stephen,” Reese and Mark smiled at me.

“So, what happened to you and Stephen?” I asked.

“We broke up. Things didn’t work out for us,” she answered.

“B-b-but what about the baby?”

“Baby Giselle is fine,” she said. She looked at Mark for a while and started speaking, “you know what, Nick. There’s also another thing you need to know.”

I gulped. I bet this will be another surprised that would hit me. Reese paused for a minute, trying to gather words whatever she’s going to tell me. An elderly woman stopped and asked where she could get a Parmesan cheese.

“You can get one at the Deli Department, ma’am,” Mark answered. The woman smiled and thanked him.

“Nick, Stephen loves you so much. When I asked him to marry me because I was pregnant, he was very hesitant about it because he doesn’t want to hurt you in any way,” Reese paused again. “B-but I threatened him about the baby. I know I was wrong, but I was so desperate to have him back. I know I’ve caused you so much trouble and I am really sorry for that. This may not be the right time or right place to apologize to you, but this is the best time for you to know that Stephen has been loving you.”

I was in awe. I can’t find the right words to tell Reese. I want to get mad at her but I can’t.

“B-b-but the b-b-baby?” I asked. That’s all I had in mind.

“I am the real father of baby Giselle,” Mark said. It surprised me so much. I can’t believe I was put in a scheme. All these times, I’ve been carrying baggage that isn’t supposed to be mine. I felt a little dizzy and suddenly lost my balance. It was a good thing Mark was able to catch me. I heard Reese calling for help. I suddenly lost my consciousness.

…to be continued

PREV ----- NEXT

No comments: