Monday, October 25, 2010

The Greatest Sin of Falling in Love in a Bar 43

Two pink lines – one is broad and the other one is thin. I felt nervous. It’s the third time that I’ve already checked it and it all tells me the same. It’s positive. I’m pregnant. Tears fell from my eyes. It’s not tears of joy, for sure. I’m worried because of my pregnancy. It clearly tells me that I’m carrying Stephen’s baby… but he is getting married with Reese. I dialed Grace’s number, one of my best friends. It rang. After a couple of rings, Grace finally picked up.

“Girl?” she answered.

“Hi, girl,” as I call her. “Are you busy? I need you to come with me.”

“Where?”

“I need to see a doctor.”

“Why? Are you sick?”

“I-I’m suspecting a bump,” I told her nervously.

“C-cancer?!!” she shrieked.

“NO!” I exclaimed. “That’s ridiculous! I mean, I think I-I-I’m -”

“You’re pregnant?” she cut me off.

“I guess. That’s why I need to see a doctor to confirm.”

“Okay. Where are you now?”

“I’m at my place. I didn’t go to work today.”

“Okay. I’ll be there in 15 minutes. Let’s just use my car.”

“Sure. I’ll wait for you here.”

“Alright. See you in 15 minutes,” then she hang up. That’s one of the best things with Grace. She’s always available whenever I need her around.

My thoughts were divided. One part of me is telling me that I should let Stephen know about it. The other part of me is telling me that I shouldn’t. I know he has the right to know, but it wouldn’t make a difference at all. It wouldn’t do me any good. He’s getting married and that’s it. I don’t think I should still have to go between him and Reese. If they’re happy, then I will let them be happy. I wouldn’t tell him about my pregnancy. He shouldn’t know about it in any way.

Grace arrived at my place in less than 15 minutes. I don’t know how she did that but I thanked her for being so reliable.

We went to St. Patrick’s Hospital and Medical Care to see Dr. Sandra Roberts, my personal OB-GYN. Indeed, she confirmed my pregnancy. I am pregnant for three weeks and two days already. I cried. Grace comforted me and told me that we need to talk somewhere private. I agreed to have lunch with her at The Avenue, where she co-owned the place.

When we got out of the clinic, I was surprised to see Aaron passed by. He noticed me when I froze.

“Nikki? What are you doing there?” he asked.

I was too stunned to answer his question. Instead, I introduced Grace to him.

“Ah, hi! Aaron, this is Grace, one of my best friends. Grace, this is Aaron, my ex-boyfriend.”

They greeted each other. After awhile, Aaron asked me again.

“What are you doing with an OB’s clinic?”

“I had to be checked on something. It’s a girl thing, you know,” I smiled. His facial expression was serious. I am not sure if he believed what I said. As I could see it, he was a little suspicious. “What about you? What are you doing here?”

“Well, I had to visit a colleague who went on a surgery yesterday,” he said.

“Uhmm, we had to go ahead. We still have to go somewhere else,” I smiled. “I’ll just see you some other time.”

“Alright,” he smiled back. “Okay. I’ll see you next time.” He hugged me and gave me a light kiss on the cheeks. I just smiled at what he did. He’s still sweet after all these years.

...to be continued

PREV ----- NEXT

No comments: