Monday, October 25, 2010

The Greatest Sin of Falling in Love in a Bar 39

My table clock alarmed and reminded me of my lunch with Aaron. I stopped working on the company’s financial statement and cleared my table. Suddenly, my office phone rang. I answered it.

“Hello, Ma’am. Mr. Stephen called and requested me to transfer the call for him. Shall I put him through?” it was Christina.

“No. Tell him to call back. I’ll be on a lunch meeting with a client,” I commanded. The truth is, I never want to speak to him for now.

“Okay, ma’am,” then Christina hung up.

I finished clearing my table and stood up. I sent Aaron a text message before I left the office. Just as I was about to step out of the building, Stephen showed up in front of me.

“Nikki, let’s talk,” he said in monotonous voice.

“I can’t talk. I have a meeting,” I told him. I tried to ignore his presence, even if a part of me wants to run to him and hug him. I walked toward my car, which I parked in front of the building.

“We need to talk,” he held me by my arm.

“Let go of me! There’s nothing for us to talk about anymore,” I freed my arm from his grip and turned away.

“I can’t love you even if I want to,” he finally let it out. I halted from walking and faced him. I was very puzzled with what he said. I tried deciphering it, but nothing would come my mind.

“W-what did you say?” I tried to clarify what I just heard.

“Even if I want to love you Nikki, I can’t. It’s been hard for me. I know I promised you a lot of things. I badly need you right now, but I drove you away,” he lowered his head in desperation. I don’t know how, but I seemed to believe. It’s like he’s caught into something he can never get away with.

“When I told you I like you, it was a lie. I terrible want to tell you how I long for you everyday… how I need you… how I love you, but something’s holding me back.”

“What is it?”

He stared at me. I could see in his eyes how anxious he is, but I couldn’t seem to understand his situation.

“C’mon! Tell me! What is it that’s holding you back?!” I shouted at him.

“Reese is two months pregnant… and I’m the father,” Stephen dropped the bomb. Suddenly, I felt my whole world crashing over me. I went inside the car and started the engine. I took the highway at full speed. Tears were overflowing on my eyes. So, that’s the reason why he can’t love me… because he got Reese pregnant.

…to be continued

PREV ----- NEXT

No comments: