Monday, October 25, 2010

The Greatest Sin of Falling in Love in a Bar 49

I wasn’t surprise to hear my phone ringing. It’s Nikki. I answered the call.

“Hi, hon,” I said. “Are you home already?”

“Yes. I just got home. Where are you?” she asked.

“We’re at the Hidden Haven.” I answered.

“Are you still with Mark?”

“Yeah. We just got here, too.”

“Okay. Don’t stay up late, alright? A couple of beer will do. Don’t drink so much.”

“I won’t, hon. I promise. I’ll call you when I’m about to go home and when I get home. You better go to bed now. Don’t tire yourself too much.”

“Okay. I also need to go to bed. I’m a bit tired.”

“Alright. I love you,” I kissed her goodbye through the phone. Then she hung up. I didn’t have to wait for her to answer me. I know she’s still confused with her feelings right now. I don’t want to pressure her too much. I can wait until she’s ready. I know, in time, she’ll be able to love me again.

In the meantime, I’m here with Mark having a drink. It’s been awhile since the last time we’ve seen each other. Truth is, Mark is my classmate from high school. I don’t know why I didn’t tell Nikki firsthand, but I want to find out what brought Mark to this town.

“It’s been awhile dude. The last time I heard from you was what? High school?” I asked.

“Yeah. You’re right. A lot has changed, I can see. You’ve got a great girl,” he said.

“Thanks. She used to be a college flame. We broke up because I had to travel somewhere. When I got back here, we rekindled the flame,” I chuckled. “So, what brought you here?”

“I’m here looking for a certain person… and your girlfriend happens to know that person.”

“Who?” I was curious so I asked.

“Stephen… Stephen Daniels. Do you know him, too?”

I froze for a while. Why is he looking for Stephen?

“Yeah. I know him. Why? What about him?” I asked.

“He used to be a friend. This is his hometown. When he left our place and came here, we had a misunderstanding. I need to see and have a word with him.”

“Would you mind if I’d ask what it was about?”

“Stephen had a girlfriend. Their relationship got rocky after Stephen found out that his girlfriend is having several affairs with some of our friends.”

“Why didn’t he break up with that girl?”

“He tried to, but he was very much in love with her. Until one day, he caught his girlfriend sleeping at his best friend’s bed. He thought his best friend screwed his girl. He accused them of cheating and deception. He then broke up with his girlfriend and told his best friend not to see him anymore.”

He paused for a while.

“The best friend was me. I need to speak to him. I’ve heard that his ex-girlfriend is here, too. She wants to reconcile with him. I need to see because she’s pregnant with my baby.”

I was surprised with what I just heard.

“Is the girl’s name happens to be Reese?” I asked.

“Y-y-yes. How’d you know her?”

“She had confronted Nikki a few days ago. Nikki told me about everything.”

“I really need to talk to Stephen about this.”

“Nikki has to know first. If there’s one person who needs to know about all of these, it’s Nikki. She’s the most affected in this situation. I’ll walk her through it,” I told Mark. I stood up and left a bill for the beer we had. I told Mark I’d go home ahead of him. A lot of things are inside of my head.

I don’t know if I should tell Nikki about what I just heard. If I won’t tell her and she finds out that I know about all of these, she’d definitely get mad at me. If I’d tell her and she knows the truth, she’d surely leave me for Stephen. I’m really confused now. I love her so much I can’t afford to lose her.

…to be continued

PREV ----- NEXT

No comments: